Monday, December 10, 2012

Math assignments

1) Question B -


Maria needs to save $500 to swim with the dolphins.  So far she has saved $75.

What percent of the total has she saved?

Answer :I got 75 divided by 500 = .15 which also =15%

2) December 3- Question D
 A strange scene : imagine a conveyor belt, with tins placed at regular intervals onto the belt at one end, moving along at a steady rate towards a labeling machine at the far end. A gerbil starts from a tin at the beginning of the belt and steadily jumps from tin to tin, finally jumping off immediately before the labeling machine.

When the gerbil jumps at a rate of one jump per second he arrives at the labeling machine in 20 jumps but if he speeds up and manages two jumps per second he can fit in 32 jumps before the end of the line.

How many tins are there on the line ?

Answer:
Gerbil- 1 jump per sec arrives at labeling station in 20 jumps
32 x 2 = 64 cans
20 jumps per second = 20 cans in 20 seconds
2 jumps per second times 32 jumps = 64 cans


3) Question A



In Fred's Design School, 25 % of the teachers teach art. If there are 50 art teachers, how many teachers are there in the school all together?

x= 50 divided by .25 = 200
200 times .25 = 50


4) Question C

Suppose 6 goats take 6 minutes to eat 6 pumpkins.

How long would it take 2 goats to eat 2 pumpkins? Answer: 2 minutes

How many goats would it take to eat 30 pumpkins in 30 minutes? Answer: 30 goats


5) Question D:


After baking a delicious pie, I cut it into 8 equal slices.  

After eating a piece, what percent of the pie is left?


Answer: 7 divided by 8= .875 which roughly equals 88%


6) December 3 Question 3

 Place each of the numbers 1 to 5 in the V shape above so that the two arms of the V have the same total (when added together).

How many different possibilities are there? Answer: at least 3
What do you notice about all the solutions you find? Answer: I found that when I put the odd number at the base it worked for me.

Can you explain what you see? Answer: I saw a pattern. If I add the highest and lowest numbers to the base on one side and add the two numbers in the middle plus the base on the other I will get equal numbers.  

Can you convince someone that you have all the solutions? Answer: Yes I can. ex: putting 5 at the base and 1 and 4 in the left circles and 2 and 3 in the right I was able to find 10 on both sides. If I put 3 at the base I put 2 and 4 on the left side and 1 and 5 on the right. I got 9 for both sides. 

What happens if we use the numbers from 2 to 6? From 12 to 16? From 37 to 41? From 103 to 107?

Answer is the same. It works out if all the base numbers are odd.
What can you discover about a V that has arms of length 4 using the numbers 1-7?

Answer:  Adding a 4th to the V and using numbers 1-7. I got my wish. Putting an even number at the base worked out.




No comments:

Post a Comment