Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Reflections on The Little Black Book

After reading The Little Black Book by Jeffrey Gitomer I became motivated to get connected to all of the people I am so very close to in my field. However, The reading came off to me like a "business" motivational preaching tool that you hear in seminars. I am not one to attend these kinds of ,"Feel Good" meetings but it did speak to me. Although I felt that way in the beginning, I read on. I came to the conclusion that it is a homework assignment after all, and I HAVE to read it.

My mother has always said that you have to do it weather you want to or not. Like it or not. So, I read on. The parts I did liked about the readings were the sections where Jeffrey talks about self esteem and how it plays a critical role in making it or not making it in successful connections. My self esteem issues come up when I compare myself to my peers who have their bachelor's degrees. I do not...yet. When I finish CU my goal is to connect with worthwhile people to collaborate with. Perhaps in a freelance sort of field or I can go national with NAEYC. At this time in my life I'm not looking to climb the corporate ladder of success. I want to help children as well as myself.

The truth that my sex is not as rare in my field as my blackness, makes me want to be involved in helping the communities in which I've come from. The low income black community. The demographic that I am currently working with are wealthy white doctors, lawyers and professors. I think I will better help those families that are struggling with the same childhood questions the doctor is struggling with but also struggles that include ways to keep their lights on and put food on the table. The doctor has worries but may not have the real life survival worries that the bus driver, or preschool teacher, like myself, making less than $30,000 a year have. These kinds of worries carry over to the children in the home which carries over to that child's performance in school. I know, I've been in their shoes.

I'm not at all saying that all black families are struggling and all white families got it made with a few exceptions like common early childhood dilemmas. I want to be clear about this. There is no doubt that I have had many privileged whites and not enough young black families, privileged or not coming in to my school. Although I've been there for 14 years, my boss may say that I don't know the financial backgrounds of my families in my care and that's true. I don't know.

 I can only see the few vs. the many. I know my school is expensive and I know that many families (black, white, Hispanic, etc) have their fair share of difficult times. However, I am feeling a sense of responsibility to help those that don't often come into my school. They deserve the same attention I pay to the doctor's children. The same energy to help their child succeed and do well in public school. I want to put a smile on their face at the end of the day that I could help them elevate any preschool stress and help their child become ready to learn.

 My mom was single parent struggling as first a student and later a military soldier. I went to school hungry, unprepared, cold and/or sleepy too often. She doesn't know this because I wanted to put on a happy face for her not to worry about me. She had enough to worry about.

Looking back on my life experience I want to connect with people connecting to this demographic. I think young black mothers need to see a teacher that looks like them, been where they are and who can help them feel that they are not alone. They don't need to feel like they are being judged or looked down upon because they are struggling to make their childcare payments. I really want to be there for them.

Rongina Driggers
September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment