Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Thoughts on Critical Thinking and Self Assessment

Critical Thinking

 I was fascinated  and excited to learn that I will need to dive deeper into critical thinking.  I find that I evaluate many areas of interest and fact based information daily. I seek to learn and know about more things. At times I feel like a walking encyclopedia of random nonsensical nonsense.  I research, for fun, things I want to know more about. I try not to apply critique to something before I have all of the facts. When in a discussion with someone else, I may want to devote all of my knowledge of the topic with proof on hand, so there is no room for miscommunication or misunderstandings. I weigh all of the options and seek to understand the other person's point of view. It's not easy using critical thinking. I do not imply that I am very skilled at all with the technique. Critical thinking requires one to be reflective on ones own faults and admit that one can be wrong. It's the being wrong part that's hard for me. Keeping an open mind is key to being a critical thinker. Looking at all sides and validating your opponent's option is vital to growing stronger as a critical thinker. Critical thinking is premeditated thoughtful thinking. I learned from the reading that you must first have self discipline and control and that's important. With blinders on and a one tract mind you can not move forward.

Applying critical thinking to my project allows me to understand the whole child I will be evaluating. Here's what I learned, Critical thinking is fundamental to assessment. Without critical thinking it might be very difficult to examine all of the elements of learning, development and understanding the importance that is Early Childhood Education. My project A Preschooler and Self Assessment will follow a small child in his discoveries in the arts. In the beginning of the school year I asked him what it was he wanted to learn in my class. He thought for a moment and responded with, "I want to learn how to paint beautiful." I observed his play for a week and started to document his work. He seemed like an open minded child ready to tackle anything. His interest in sensory play was key to knowing his level of tolerance to certain things like a soapy sensory table and sand. I begin to understand how far I can take him within the 7th RIELS domain of The Arts. I used critical thinking to understand his style of learning and my style of teaching and taking observations on him. Thinking on my biases and influences on him, I use self regulation to make sure I am not forcing my options onto him. I know he is looking to me to give answers and help him help himself, however, I wonder how much of my presents will effect him. How will I impact his decisions making? How might my biases change his interest? I have decided not to give input but ask him what he is wanting to do next regarding art. I want him to know that there is no limit to what he can do. I don't want to apply my own voice. I want to hear his. I ask lots of questions of him and take many pictures of his play to help him reflect back on at the end of each week.  I use analysis to examine ideas and put into play events that will create self discovery and my goal for him, self assessment. As a student myself, I  have made a template and/or guide line that I will follow to help me keep track of potential ideas he might come up with. I will infer to my notes and records for potential conclusions as to what he might want to do next. They will change. I am certain of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment